Hifi Improvement Proposal (HIP) 1

The licensing is necessary to prevent forks and continue working towards the mission of Hifi. Having established governance, we now need to plan ahead to take steps forward as a DAO.

1 Like

These are all fair upgrades. I’ve been an an open source license advocate from the start where competitors can copy and then the market determines who the winner is, but I understand the reasoning they are doing it this way. Open source license would potentially allow a competitor to swoop in and steal marketshare from HiFi and that would hurt everybody who is a believer and token holder. There is zero benefit to an open source license other than altruism and tons of downside. Business license has changed my opinion on the matter as it protects the community and the work the devs have done and I value that greatly.

5 Likes

The way these are presented to us, it seems like it’s one vote on the collective elements that are listed here. Will these items be listed individually for voting, or will it be a binary vote for the entire wrapped proposal together?

2 Likes

It will be a binary vote given it’s one proposal.

1 Like

if it were to fail, then it would make sense to

A) Revamp proposal accordingly to what community agrees are the ones that will get passed unanimously.
B) Separate items out and then vote individually on them

2 Likes

I feel like it passes with flying colors. Everything on there makes logical sense to me. How do others feel about it overall?

3 Likes

I think the proposal is ok. I don’t really understand the complexity of the upgrades but it does look good and supporting for the community and the project.

3 Likes

I didn’t know about this Licence before, and I love the fact that it has specific parameters required for Hifi’s needs.

Has explained in the source of BUSL-1.1, parameters are:

• Restrictions on usage – Making this ‘non Open Source’
  • A change date – End date of the restricting parameter
  • Open Source Licence – The licence that will take over once the change date is reached.

As an advocate of Open Source, this all makes much sense to me and @max did a really good job explaining that above, reassuring me about their end goal with the source code.

So, you have my full support for sure about all improvements :clap:t2:

6 Likes

there’s a lot of ‘big brain’ stuff in this proposal, so it’s more of a ‘i trust in max’ thing for me, that said, maybe we can have bi-weekly discussions around some of these topics.

6 Likes

i think these are all valid improvements. will vote in favour.

3 Likes

similar. agreed Doyin.

2 Likes

These are great,I will say “Yes”.

2 Likes

Fully agree. It is one of those scenarios where I value the teams judgement and opinion on this one.

5 Likes

Would you be willing to participate in one of those community calls?

1 Like

any/all of them, ser. just lmk.

2 Likes

Voting is going on https://vote.hifi.finance/ for the HIP 1.

For the upcoming proposals, we will certainly do so.

First proposal has passed . well done all who commented or liked etc on here. Out of interest, and apologies if I have missed the detail of this but how long approximately would something like this to implement now the quorum has been reached?

2 Likes

Dates have not yet been provided. However, it is part of the roadmap for Q3. Keep in mind that it could change.

2 Likes